St Lawrence and St Saviour

The churches of Chobham and Valley End

DIARY | EVENTS

WHO TO CONTACT

DIRECTIONS

CHURCH
INFORMATION


How can we help?

BAPTISMS

WEDDINGS

FUNERALS

HIRE THE CHURCH HALL

At the heart of the village



©St Lawrence and St Saviour 2017 | THE PARISH IS  PART OF THE  CHURCH OF ENGLAND>>>    IN THE  DIOCESE OF GUILDFORD>>>

ST SAVIOUR 150

2017 marks 150 years since the dedication of the Church of St Saviour at Valley End.

Celebrations for the anniversary have included a visit by the Bishop of Guildford and Open Day on Sunday 16 July, although the actual day of the anniversary falls on Sunday 23rd July.

Another cause for celebration will be the work being carried out, in 2017, to repair the St Saviour belfry, designed a century and a half ago by Gothic Revivalist Sir George Frederick Bodley.

In 1867, when the people of the tucked away hamlet of Valley End celebrated the opening of a church of their own, GF Bodley was a comparatively young man. Much later in his life he served as head architect of one of the world’s most imposing churches, the Washington National Cathedral, in the heart of the American capital.

A blog for the 150 celebration year is telling the history of the parish, people and place of Valley End.